The main department Biomedical Engineering consists of the two departments Biomedical Microsystems and Medical Engineering & Neuroprosthetics. Work is done in the areas of microstructure, implantable systems, wireless energy and signal transmission as well as the characterization of active implants, but also in the development, production, characterization and application of miniaturized intelligent medical engineering systems. In addition to this, the expertise of the main department Biomedical Engineering also includes health information systems for the management of chronic diseases, big data applications, clinical expert systems as well as health apps and augmented reality.
In particular, the development of existing technologies, which represent a fundamental concern of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft's lighthouse project "Theranostic implants – licensing-related development of key technologies", can be advanced in this way. With the neuromuscular demonstrator "myoelectric hand prosthesis control", this key project is developing and producing an implantable assistance system with which the fingers of a hand prosthesis can be moved intuitively, and which will also restore the amputee's sense of touch with the aid of a sensor feedback with the prosthesis. The main department Biomedical Engineering is making a leading contribution towards the success of this demonstrator thanks to the comprehensive expertise of its staff.
The competences of the main department Biomedical Engineering lie, among other things, in the following areas:
- active implants
- biomedical Big Data applications
- disease management systems including clinical experts systems
- flexible microelectrodes
- health information systems
- implantable assistance systems including neuroprostheses
- customer-specific measurement stations
- microsensors and microactuators
- microsystems technology, assembly and interconnection technologies
- neuromonitoring including pelvic, intraoperative neuromonitoring
- Regulatory Affairs including risk management